Afforestation Project Proposal
PREPARED BY: THE EXECUTIVE TEAM PAMOJA YOUTH FOUNDATION
DATE: JUNE 2007
- The rate of deforestation is high so we want to plant trees for the ecological balance i.e. 10% forest cover.
- To enlighten the communities against deforestation
- To plant trees which will assist to absorb green house gases
- To increase the communities income through the sale of timber, firewood, fruits, medicinal products etc
- To create food security. This is nutritional value from fruits
- Aesthetic beauty i.e. the green cover
- Conservation of bio-diversity
i) Establishment of tree nurseries
ii) Tree planting
iii) Education and sensitization
iv) Program expansion
i) NURSERIES ESTABLISHMENT & MANAGEMENT
ii) TREE PLANTING
- Labour: Pamoja Youth Foundation (PYF) has 45 members who will be providing labor for the nurseries i.e. preparing the nurseries, bagging, transplanting, watering, and security. In addition, the group will mobilize different schools and churches to assist.
- Land: PYF has contacted various schools management and Chiefs who have agreed to give them space for the nurseries establishment.
- Tools & Equipments: PYF is intending to mobilize funds from well wishers to buy tools e.g. jembes, pangs, shovels, spades, wheelbarrows, watering cans, horse pipes etc.
- Seeds: The group is already in partnership with HELP International Kenya who will donate some seeds to the group. However, the group will be buying the seeds that are not available in HELP from KEFRI.
- Manure & Fertilizer: For production of healthy seedlings, the group will buy fertilizers and will also prepare compost manure for the nurseries.
- Potting Bags: The group is intending to buy a sealing machine that they will be using to make the potting bags. Plastic bags will be acquired from the Kibera slum.
- Pesticides & Herbicides: PYF is trying to mobilize funds to buy the pesticides and herbicides for the nurseries.
- Nursery Shades & Seedlings Racks: PYF will construct shades to protect the seedlings and will make raised racks to keep the seedlings till they mature for field planting.
iii) EDUCATION & SENSITIZATION
- The trees will be used to promote afforestation in schools and the group also intends to sell the seeds to public and private institutions at a subsidized fee.
- Also, the trees will be planted during Public Holidays e.g. Jamhuri Day and occasions like Environment day, trees planting days, wet lands days etc.
- The group will mobilize school clubs, and environmental clubs to plant trees on the above occasions.
- The group will sensitize the communities and give them trees to plant on their homes free.
- The group is intending to sell the seedlings to companies and lead agencies that are intending to promote afforestation.
iv) PROGRAM EXPANSION
- Rural Communities: PYF will organize visits to different rural areas to promote agro-forestry. Seminars and workshops will be held to sensitize/train the communities. Trees and fruits seedlings will be given out for free to the communities to plant in their farms during the seminars and workshops.
- Educational Institutions: PYF will encourage environment clubs in primary and secondary schools and organize competition on environmental essays. For colleges and universities, internship programs will be provided e.g. to the environmental students.
- PYF is intending to expand itís activities to the whole country and encourage youths allover the country to participate.
- This will be achieved by networking with youth groups and schools from different districts in the country. Also, we shall use media campaign to advocate and mobilize people to participate.
- The group is intending to develop a website with various issues about the environment.
Download this proposal as a Word document.